Published on January 14th, 2021 | by gareth0
ReedPop Reveals PAX Update
Interesting stuff here.
Greetings, it’s Lance, President at ReedPop.
You’re receiving this because the entire ReedPop team misses you and felt overdue in giving you an update on things in ReedPop land, so here goes…
I want to start by wishing you a Happy New Year and I hope that you had a safe and happy holiday season with your loved ones. Over the break, I spent time reflecting as we often do at the end of each year. I (like all of you) experienced the most difficult and painful ten months of my life. People have lost friends, family members, jobs and more. We had to part ways with colleagues within our organization and say goodbye to beloved events. We miss running live events for you terribly. Our work is nothing compared to life-saving efforts undertaken by essential workers every day, but we pressed on behind screens, doing our best to bring you at least a few pieces of joy from our physical events.
We’ve been challenged from every direction to think differently about what we do and have gained new perspectives and understanding on how to best serve this community of wonderful geeks we love so much. So what are we going to do about it?
Look for five things from us in 2021:
- We run some of the best websites and YouTube channels in the world, you should check them out! Rock Paper Shotgun, Digital Foundry , Dicebreaker, Outside Xbox, Cosplay Central, Eurogamer, GamesIndustry.biz and VG24/7 are all ReedPop sites that had record engagement throughout 2020. These sites are guided by some of the most well respected writers, editors, technologists, designers and video personalities in the gaming universe.
- Focused and meaningful virtual events! In the first half of the year we’re planning a bunch of cool, tiny virtual happenings from celebrity Meet and Greets to Esports tournaments. It turns out big virtual events aren’t as awesome as real life big events, so instead we’re going to give you lots of curated things to chew on.
- We’ve got a bunch of new stuff to show you! Exclusive Merch. Subscription packages to our events and websites. A marketplace connecting you with the creators you love.
- Live events again! For information on the 2021 events we have announced to date, click here. As always, we’ll make “the next right decision” as the year progresses. We’ll run events when it is safe to do so and with all the protocols you expect from the world’s leading event producer. We ask for your understanding that things may change. We promise to be clear and communicative about new procedures and requirements and most importantly, that we’ll not host an event if it is not safe to do so.
- No more event sellouts! Once we do get back to live events, we’ll have an awesome virtual component that will bring you access to great content, exclusives and the Con community both on and offline. That means if you can’t get a ticket to an event, you can still be there in a real and meaningful way.
Lastly, I feel it is critical to give space to some of the other issues brought to the global forefront this year aside from COVID-19. The historical tragedies have shone a light on systemic inequality amongst marginalized groups and the ugliness and disparity that exists within our society. Whether online or in-person, we remain dedicated to delivering content and experiences that reflect the beautifully diverse communities we serve and to build safe spaces for every single one of you.
2020 was brutal. 2021 is going to be challenging too, however, we’re jumping into it by working hard to build awesomeness for you! At ReedPop we’ve never stopped thinking of you and we’re more excited than ever to bring you all the pop culture goodness you crave in every way we can possibly imagine.
Stay in touch, let me know how you’re doing, what you need and if we can help.