Published on July 28th, 2016 | by Genevieve Mc Bride0
Archer Live And American Horror Story VR Video And FXhibition News: San Diego Comic Con 2016
I was in panels for a good part of the show but Gareth checked this out and loved the VR experience. Here are the details and some video to enjoy.
Today, FX Networks concluded its fourth and final day of the FXhibition at San Diego Comic-Con 2016. Kicking off on July 21st, FX welcomed thousands of attendees to its curated space at Hilton Bayfront Park, which featured larger-than-life art installations and interactive fan experiences based on some of the networks most coveted shows including Archer, American Horror Story, The Strain, It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll. Highlights from the FXhibition include:
- The American Horror Story Fearless Virtual Reality experience welcomed guests to immerse themselves in the show’s most iconic and frightening storylines. A teaser of what fans experienced is available HERE
- The cast of Archer gave a special one-night only performance of the famed touring show Archer Live! aboard the Inspiration Hornblower yacht on Thursday, July 21st. Cast members included H. Jon Benjamin (Sterling Archer), Aisha Tyler (Lana Kane), Judy Greer (Cheryl Tunt), Chris Parnell (Cyril Figgis), Amber Nash (Pam Poovey), Lucky Yates (Krieger), series creator/executive producer Adam Reed (Ray Gillette), executive producer Matt Thompson, beloved series matriarch Jessica Walter, and special guest Christian Slater.
- On Saturday, July 23rd, FX hosted a late night screening of the performance at the FX Lounge, for all fans who missed the opportunity to see it live. The rebroadcast was part of a silent disco that set the Hilton Bayfront Park aglow, with all attendees wearing light-up headphones.
- It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia’s reimagined Paddy’s Pub was brought to Comic-Con to rescue attendees from the heat by serving water on tap. Over four days, Paddy’s Pub poured over 12,300 drinks and distributed more than 3,000 reusable, collapsible FX cups.
- The FXhibition was also visited by cast members from The Strain, Archer, and Rob McElhenney of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia to pose with the iconic art from their series.
- FXhibition became a space for all fans whether attending the convention or exploring downtown San Diego, providing the opportunity to capture memorable photos at Comic-Con. Art installations in the space were inspired by some of FX’s most beloved series including:
- The Strain’s 25-foot “infected” Lady Liberty statue.
- Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll’s massive smashed guitar with broken pieces several feet in size fan could pose on top of.
- The FX Sculpture Garden’s eerily life-like sculpted busts of iconic FX characters including Archer’s “Pam Poovey,” American Horror Story: Asylum’s White Nun, Man Seeking Woman’s Troll, The Strain’s “Quinlan,” Baskets’ Clown and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’s “Frank Reynolds” as the “troll” character from The Nightman Cometh.
- Fans had fun posing for pics in special seating re-interpreted as notable props from various FX series, including the American Horror Story: Hotel Mattress as a Barcelona Bench and Archer’s Martini Olive as an Oliva Chair.
- The FXhibition Augmented Reality powered by Twitter hosted nearly 2,500 fans at the activation. This event was the first time Twitter used this propriety application for a consumer facing event.